Saturday, August 11, 2007

Driving Bus And Me

Today I headed over to the Belvidere DMV office. Normally this office isn't overcrowded. Well, not so today. When I got there they were on # 46 and I was # 65. Seems all the teenyboppers who must have just finished their driver's education classes were there trying to obtain their very first driver's licenses. Obviously, they weren't taught to read in school because none of them had all of the required paperwork they needed to do it. One right after another they were turned away, heads hung low, to come back when they had the proper paperwork. They had all been given lists of what they needed to bring with them but obviously weren't instructed properly on how to read them.

Anywho, I went there to obtain my bus certificate. I have to have one before I can apply for a school bus driving position. 40 minutes later my number was finally called. When I approached the lady behind the counter I simply stated that I would like to get my bus certificate. A simple glazed and dazed look was all I got in response. This woman, who works for the DMV, had no friggen clue what I was talking about. It was as if I was speaking a foreign language she didn't understand.

When she was finally able to speak I get: "What are you here for again." Again, I repeated myself then told her I needed it in order to apply for a job. This time, I also told her who I was applying for and that I needed 2 forms instead of just the 1. Again the same exact glazed and dazed look I got the first time. Luckily, the man standing next to her heard me the second time and knew exactly what I was talking about and what I needed.

After she examined my driver's license and got everything punched into the computer she sent me over to yet a second line to have the forms printed out and I pay the $12.00 fee there.

I get over there and the man behind the counter asks me if she examined my driver's license and if the certificates were for work or for court. Ummmm, work. Nope, no traffic infractions. No DUI's. See! Look at my driving record. All it says is "end of report." Nothing there.

Well, now this means I can go and apply on Monday. If I get hired then I'll have to head over to the Rockford DMV, which I prefer to call the clusterfuck, to take the written and driving tests to obtain my CDL. Plus, there's an additional written test to take for a bus driver CDL. It's either there or in DeKalb. I'll take Rockford since I don't know anything about DeKalb. And I'm nervous because I don't fair well with written tests. This should prove to be interesting, to say the least.

Again, wish me good luck! I'm gonna need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment