Saturday, July 14, 2007

What A Day....

....this has been. First, the spawn and I had to get up early, bathe, dress, pack the van and head out to Wal-Mart by 8 a.m. to pick up 20 gallons of drinking water, 4 bags of 22 lb. ice, 3 containers of lemonade mix and a sub sandwich totaling 24 feet in length in 8 - 3 feet sections. Oh, but, on the way there I had to do a lot of slamming of the brakes as to not hit the idiots in front of me constantly slamming on their brakes. Thus the results was the ruining of my jello and fruit salad. I ended up having to break down and buy some Macaroni Salad while I was at Wal-Mart so I had a dish to pass out there.

When I pull up to unload the van a few other scout's parents came out to help. Well, lo and behold when one of them opened up the tail of the van 5 of those 3 foot sections toppled out onto the ground. Thank goodness they were all on cardboard and wrapped up in plastic bags.

We managed to get it all unloaded, the sandwiches put back together, the totes of stuff unloaded and set out.

Then I headed out to see how the activity set up were coming along. We had:

Cubmobile Races: Ramps, cars and helmets all set up and ready to go.

Volleyball Net: In the process of being set up.

Relay Races: Person running bringing the stuff for it and running it: nowhere to be found, yet. I had brought ropes for 3-legged races and sacks for potato sack races so I pulled them out and had them ready to go.

Shortly after she does arrive, another one of the parents comes up to me to inform me that youngerspawn peed in his pants and asked if I had brought extra clothes. NOPE! He hasn't wet himself for a long time so I figured he'd be fine. Guess I was wrong.

Luckily, the person running the relay races had extra clothes in her van that fit him.

But after that, I kept losing track of her and where she was setting up the relay races. All the while I'm trying to split the kids into 3 different age groups and get things started during which The Cubmaster kept saying to me, "Maranda, what are we doing, what are we doing" all the while I AM SPEAKING. I turned to him and simply stated that I had just said what we were doing had he been listening. Then he tells me not to let my anger show. Don't talk over me and I won't get pissed off, umkay? And, that wasn't anger rearing it's ugly head simply my irritation at you! Then, one of the adult volunteers comes up to me whining (yes, actually whining) about how she wanted to help out with the food and not the volleyball. Now, we had a planning meeting for this activity, which she didn't attend. I sent out numerous emails to which she never responded. And there's a wonderful invention called the telephone. Learn to use it. You don't say anything to me, I put the volunteers where they're needed. I don't wanna hear it.

After this, the day progressed fairly well. That is until it was Elderspawn's group's turn at the Cubmobile races. I missed his first race and asked him to race again so I could get a picture of him. He agreed and lo and behold when he got to the end of the racing area he put his feet down to stop himself instead of using the brake on the car. He managed to get both feet down, bent underneath, and stuck. Even the back wheel of the car was up in the air. He managed to run right over his own legs. He got some nice scrapes and bruises out of that one and where he scraped up his ankle it was a bit swollen but luckily no broken bones that I know of. Figures, only my kids would cause a raucous.

Chow time came, and it wasn't set up in the most convenient of ways. The plasticware and napkins were all sitting on top of coolers instead of sitting on the tables so many people missed where they were at and had to come back for them. And the desserts weren't on the food tables. Heck, they hadn't even been opened. I remedied that one in a hurry. Then we had to make up more lemonade, so of course I had to get the water and mix to make it up and more ice to pour into it to get it cold. Of course, everyone kept on pulling me here there and everywhere so I really never got to eat.

Then, we had popcorn sale prizes to hand out to everyone. Luckily that only took a few minutes to do but I had to get all the kids from the playground out in the park so they could get their prizes. And we were behind schedule.

Then, clean up time came. We had over 9 feet of sub sandwich left to divide up, tablecloths to rip off, tables to scrub down, garbage to pick up and a ton of stuff to load up and haul out, etc., etc., etc. I had to cut out early. Sorry guys. We had the subs packed up and divided up, tablecloths off, most things loaded back up, tables scrubbed and garbage picked up when I left. Needless to say though, I had to put the hammer to the floor getting home and I was still 5 minutes late getting there. Grau really had to punch it to get to work on time.

And it's only 4 p.m. right now

We did have a good 80 to 90 people in attendance today. We did have beautiful weather considering we were supposed to have had isolated thunderstorms this morning. I guess I should be happy about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment